Sunday, August 9, 2009

August 9, 2002 - Day 9 in the life of Angel Baby

Today was not so good.

The hospital called me at home around noon (let me tell you, when you've got a baby in the NICU, each time the phone rings your heart drops for fear it's not a good phone call. Up until this point, the phone calls were all good). The nurse told me that Angel Baby had some type of infection and they gave her 3 different antibiodics to help her and they had to put her back on the ventilator.

I hurried and went up to see her. They were just starting a blood transfusion for her. It's a good thing too because she went from being my pretty pink baby to very pale but I watched her color come right back into her with the transfusion. Thank goodness, now we just needed to get all her levels up. I came home worried but comforted knowing that she wasn't pale anymore thanks to the transfusion.

Then around 4:00 I got another phone call from the nurse again. The medications weren't working and they were trying new meds. I was so scared. I grabbed our friend Philip and my mom and I met Master Chief at the hospital to give Angel Baby a blessing. In her blessing she was blessed with a slow recovery and that she would tolerate her mommy's milk. What a relief. I was still really worried and really scared.

We went up to see Angel Baby Friday night to say goodnight and to tell her that Mommy and Daddy love her. They had put her sunglasses back on because she didn't want to sleep and they wanted to make it dark for her. She was so precious. Kristi, our favorite nurse, was on that night so we called to check on Angel Baby before we went to bed. There was no change but she was going to call us in the morning before she went home.

I don't think I've ever prayed as much as I did that day and night. We were so worried about our sweet little girl.

No comments: